Thursday, June 5, 2014

Kickin' ass and takin' names.

I'm kind of a hard person to be friends with. I pretty much hate everything. Okay so maybe not eeeeeverything, and maybe its not hate, but it is in my nature to question everything. So heres a little bit about me that might give some insight into why and how I learned to ask so many questions, see things from every angle, question every rule and authority and speak my mind whenever I damn well feel like it.

I've lived a lot of life in my 37 years and have pretty much made all the mistakes people ever make. All of them.  Once, when I was 16 got in a car with with a bunch of older boys who were drinking. Obviously it ended badly and we were damn lucky nobody died. It's actually kind of a funny story to tell but the reality is that I will forever live with scars, inside and out. I have pretty much screwed up in every way that a human can screw up and I have a million regrets, but..... I also have power.

 I'm gonna make that cute husband of
mine very happy here and quote Spiderman.
 I learned very early on that- "with great power comes great responsibility"

 I had all the power.
 I had all the freedom.
 I did every awesome, silly, stupid, reckless thing a person could do.
Some of it was great. Some of it hurt. There were times I was ignored, discarded and attacked with both fists and words, but the freedom of being a kid with no rules, no adults around who weren't already wrapped up in their own dramas and addictions to set any boundaries, was also kind of amazing.
    
I also had the opportunity to really learn from my mistakes and experience life on my own terms.

Green and purple and every other color  you can think of  hair
short skirts and combat boots
midnight showings of Rocky Horror
standing at podiums reading poetry with clove cigarettes hanging from my lip
sex 
drugs 
skinny dipping
punk rock music
traveling
all the things I ever wanted to do, I did.

I was allowed to form my own opinions about religion and politics and  art and education and  friendships and love and how humans should treat each other and all of the really important things in life 

Despite the fact that nobody ever talked to me about what was happening to my body and my mind I held fast to my own values and formed my own ideas about justice and fairness based on the way I experienced the world around me. I am often reminded of the great responsibility part and try to use all the things I've learned along the way to make a positive impact on my family, on my community and create a legacy of truth and kindness that will live on past my time.  

 So when you think I am speaking up just to be contrary, just to be different, just to stir the pot, it's because I am different. It's because I know what it is to have to fight for my rights and I refuse to just agree and conform to other peoples standards.  I question everything because I've seen almost everything and don't buy any shit about how am supposed to be. When you've lived like I have you understand fairness intimately and insist on it in all things. My freedom planted seeds of doubt about everything but it also taught me to stand up for myself and work hard and appreciate everything. 

I refuse to forget the girl with the bad ass attitude and combat boots. She has come a long way but shes still there, kicking ass and taking names.

No comments:

Post a Comment